The residents of cold area are in a huge need of furnace for keeping their homes warm. So, whenever some problem occurs with their furnace, it gives them a huge blow of expenses and panic. Most people want the furnace repair on an emergency basis, therefore, the furnace repair men are available round the clock on a regular basis. But it`s also good to be aware of basic furnace repair tips so that you can handle the repairing process on your own. The people who are best at the household maintenance are also expert of these repair tips. Here are some of the useful furnace repair tips:
Maintenance and inspection
- Proper maintenance on a regular basis can save you from a lot of headache and trouble.
- Thoroughly inspect every duct, filters and blowers for any clogging and obstruction.
- Careful inspection of the ducts and coils will help you out to figure the problem and remove any unwanted material.
- Carefully observe any leakages or any accumulated water, causing trouble in working.
- Sometimes the performance is also affected by the cracks around the HVAC system or furnace.
- Give special attention to the cleaning and replacing the filters after fixed intervals. This will enhance your system performance.
- Sometimes the debris, clogged material, dust, grass, etc. accumulate in your system and offer hurdles in proper functioning of the system. Try to get rid of them by carefully examining outdoor handlers and cleaning them.click here to read Tips for Hiring the Best Furnace Repair Contractor.
Check your thermostat
- Some furnace utilizes natural gas or propane while others utilize electricity or oil as a fuel.
- First diagnose your thermostat and make sure that the thermostat setting point is above the room temperature.
- Turn it to the maximum heating level during troubleshooting for better results.
- Sometimes the furnace fan is not in a running mode. Check the fan carefully and put it on the functioning mode.
- The improper functioning of the thermostat can affect your house heating and cooling to a great extent.read more information on simple thermostat fixes by visiting http://www.familyhandyman.com/heating-cooling/furnace-repair/simple-furnace-fixes/view-all
Supply of adequate power to the furnace to ensure the appropriate heating and cooling
- Carefully check the fuse or switch of the furnace if the fan is not working.
- Loose wiring of the furnace causes the immediate tripping of the breaker.
- The control board with the burn spots should be replaced immediately.
- Sometimes its not the breaker, but some unseen problem in the transformer or the blower motor. It can be checked by observing a flashing green light displaying on the window compartment of the furnace.
- The reservoir of the condensate pump shouldn’t be full up to the brim. The float switch prevents the furnace running when its reservoir is filled.
Check the pilot or burner for sudden ignition
- A loud clicking noise is heard when the main burner or pilot causes the spark ignition.
- Improve the working of the furnace control board or the limit control.
- Clean the pilot assembly thoroughly to prevent the sudden ignition.
Check the side of the furnace
- Allow to cool the sides of the furnace to cool if they are warm.
- The inducer motor should be running smoothly without any hurdles. If not, replace the motor or the furnace control board.read more information on energy star furnaces by clicking here
Lighting of the main burners
- The main burners should light after the pilot is on.If its not working, then check that the supply of the gas is enough. Check the working of all the manual valves to ensure continuous supply.
- If it does not remain on for at least 3 seconds, then check the working of the flame board.
Some important checks
- Observe the complete heating cycle at the end of which the fan still remains on for 2-3 minutes even after the burner shuts down.
- If the fan is not working according to it, replace it immediately.
- Keep on checking the temperature of the air coming out and compare it with the average room temperature.
- The required difference of temperature is displayed on the label plate.